« back to blog
May 29, 2010
Citrus Cured Salmon Recipe
Chef Feenie is at the Vancouver Convention Center this weekend for the EAT Vancouver food and cooking festival. He is presenting on how to make a citrus cured salmon with warm potato salad. Here is the recipe for those who attended or for those who would like to add a great summer dish to their repertoire.
Citrus Cured Salmon with Warm Potato Salad and Horseradish Grainy Mustard Vinaigrette
- 3 lemons, zested
- 3 limes, zested
- 3 oranges, zested
- 300 ml coarse salt
- 225 ml sugar
- 1 filet of salmon
- Mix the citrus zest, salt and sugar thoroughly together in a mixing bowl.
- Lay the salmon with the flesh side up on a baking sheet. Coat the flesh with the citrus cure, packing it until about 1/8 to ¼ inch thick.
- Cover with saran wrap and leave in the refrigerator for 12 hours only.
- After 12 hours (no longer), rinse the cure off, pat salmon dry and store covered in refrigerator.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the salmon into 1” thick slices on an angle and set aside.
Horseradish Grainy Mustard Vinaigrette
- 3/4 tbsp grainy mustard
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 50 ml red wine vinegar
- 50 ml horseradish
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- 5 ml honey
- 250 ml sunflower or canola oil
- 2 ml salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients together, except for the oil, and salt and pepper. Mix together with a hand blender.
- Slowly add oil and continue to mix until fully incorporated and emulsified.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 5 lb baby white nugget potatoes
- Pinch of saffron
- Make a “saffron tea” by pouring 1 cup of hot boiling water over saffron. Set aside and allow saffron to steep.
- Wash potatoes well and cut into 3/8” thick rounds.
- Place in a pot with enough chicken stock or water to cover potatoes. Add saffron tea.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer until tender. Check doneness, there should be a little resistance when pierced with a paring knife.
- Strain and cool on a baking sheet. Drizzle lightly with olive oil.
Dijon Dill Mayonnaise
- 125 ml mayonnaise
- 10 ml chopped dill
- 10 ml Dijon mustard
1. Mix all ingredients together in a mixing bowl until well combined.
Plating – 4 servings
- 12 slices citrus cured salmon – sliced
- X g baby white nugget potatoes – cut into 3/8” rounds and cooked
- 50 ml horseradish grainy mustard vinaigrette
- 60 ml dijon dill mayonnaise
- 20 g microcilantro
- 10 ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 ml maldon sea salt
- Pre heat oven to 300 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lay salmon slices on top, leaving 1” space in between slices.
- Heat salmon in the oven until just warm, approximately 3-4 minutes. Salmon should be blue rare.
- Dress potatoes with horseradish grainy mustard vinaigrette and place in the center of a plate.
- Place salmon on top and drizzle with dijon dill mayo in a zig-zag pattern.
- Lightly toss micro cilantro with freshly squeezed lemon juice and place on top to garnish dish.
- Lightly sprinkle dish with maldon sea salt.