Citrus Cured Salmon Recipe
Chef Feenie is at the Vancouver Convention Center this weekend for the EAT Vancouver food and cooking festival. He is presenting on how to make a citrus cured salmon with warm potato salad. Here is the recipe for those who attended or for those who would like to add a great summer dish to their repertoire.
Citrus Cured Salmon with Warm Potato Salad and Horseradish Grainy Mustard Vinaigrette
- 3 lemons, zested
- 3 limes, zested
- 3 oranges, zested
- 300 ml coarse salt
- 225 ml sugar
- 1 filet of salmon
- Mix the citrus zest, salt and sugar thoroughly together in a mixing bowl.
- Lay the salmon with the flesh side up on a baking sheet. Coat the flesh with the citrus cure, packing it until about 1/8 to ¼ inch thick.
- Cover with saran wrap and leave in the refrigerator for 12 hours only.
- After 12 hours (no longer), rinse the cure off, pat salmon dry and store covered in refrigerator.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the salmon into 1” thick slices on an angle and set aside.
Horseradish Grainy Mustard Vinaigrette
- 3/4 tbsp grainy mustard
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 50 ml red wine vinegar
- 50 ml horseradish
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- 5 ml honey
- 250 ml sunflower or canola oil
- 2 ml salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients together, except for the oil, and salt and pepper. Mix together with a hand blender.
- Slowly add oil and continue to mix until fully incorporated and emulsified.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 5 lb baby white nugget potatoes
- Pinch of saffron
- Make a “saffron tea” by pouring 1 cup of hot boiling water over saffron. Set aside and allow saffron to steep.
- Wash potatoes well and cut into 3/8” thick rounds.
- Place in a pot with enough chicken stock or water to cover potatoes. Add saffron tea.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer until tender. Check doneness, there should be a little resistance when pierced with a paring knife.
- Strain and cool on a baking sheet. Drizzle lightly with olive oil.
Dijon Dill Mayonnaise
- 125 ml mayonnaise
- 10 ml chopped dill
- 10 ml Dijon mustard
1. Mix all ingredients together in a mixing bowl until well combined.
Plating – 4 servings
- 12 slices citrus cured salmon – sliced
- X g baby white nugget potatoes – cut into 3/8” rounds and cooked
- 50 ml horseradish grainy mustard vinaigrette
- 60 ml dijon dill mayonnaise
- 20 g microcilantro
- 10 ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 ml maldon sea salt
- Pre heat oven to 300 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lay salmon slices on top, leaving 1” space in between slices.
- Heat salmon in the oven until just warm, approximately 3-4 minutes. Salmon should be blue rare.
- Dress potatoes with horseradish grainy mustard vinaigrette and place in the center of a plate.
- Place salmon on top and drizzle with dijon dill mayo in a zig-zag pattern.
- Lightly toss micro cilantro with freshly squeezed lemon juice and place on top to garnish dish.
- Lightly sprinkle dish with maldon sea salt.