Wine Wednesday: Rockpile
Originally known as Golden Mile Cellars, Pam and Mick Luckhurst purchased the winery in 2003. Road 13 Vineyards took its new name and branding in recognition of the winery’s specific place within the larger premium growing region of the Golden Mile region (and of course, the road they are located on).
Rockpile is in its rookie vintage; named in honour of the toughest vineyard the winery owns. It is a wild blend of 60% Syrah, 19% Merlot, 10% Cabernet Sauvignon, 6% Cabernet Franc, 2% Zinfandel, and 1% each of Viognier, Mourvedre and Grenache!
Sam’s Zavari’s answers to frequently asked questions:
- Where is the winery located? Oliver, BC
- Can you describe the flavour of the wine? Plum and mocha with a hint of pepper (this is after all a 60% Syrah wine) with a full-bodied, long, lingering finish.
- What does this wine add to the Cactus wine list? Another great Okanagan wine with a superb track record.
- Which Cactus menu item does this wine pair with? Any meat dish
- Glass or Bottle? By the glass
- Describe this wine in 3 words: A big beast